Deadline: 27 October 2017
Arterial Network is a vibrant civil society pan-African network of artists, organisations and institutions engaged in Africa's creative sector. The network was established in March 2007 on Goree Island, Senegal in March 2007. Arterial Network is led by a Steering Committee representing Africa's five regions and run by a Continental Secretariat based in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. The network's activities span across large parts of Africa and it is represented in over 20 African countries and 574 professionals across the continent.
In a bid to design, achieve and analyse the spin-offs of its internal and external communications, Arterial Network is recruiting a Communications Officer to discharge the tasks described in the terms of reference.
S/he shall be under the direction of the Secretary General of the Continental Secretariat and shall be part of a team based in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. The candidate must be ambitious and goal-driven, possess excellent drafting and communication skills, have a good understanding and passion for Africa, be capable of creating exciting content and demonstrating a clear ability to implement these on online platforms.
- A degree in Communication/Marketing
- A minimum of five years' experience in the coordination of online communications
- Experience in the field of Arts and Culture
- A professional residence permit for non-residents would be an asset.
- Mastery of DTP Software
- Mastery of English and French
Candidates shall send their CVs, cover letters, a list of communication materials designed and three references to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org latest October 27, 2017.
The selected candidate shall assume duty as soon as possible. See the terms of reference of the advertised position below. This is a contract position for one year renewable.
Applications from women are encouraged.
Short-listed candidates shall be contacted directly in case they are selected for a written test.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Chain of Command and Supervision:
Under the direction of the Secretary General of Arterial Network's Continental Secretariat, based in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, the selected Communications Officer shall be responsible for internal and external communications in keeping with the objectives and the development outlook of the Organization.
The successful candidate shall work in close collaboration with the Continental Secretariat's Programme Managers, Affiliates across 20 African countries and Arterial Network's collaborators.
Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Managing Communication
- Design, implement and assess the Organization's global communication as well as planning and monitoring communications-related budgets
- Determine, prepare and monitoring communications-related budgets
- Manage and coordinate the communications service providers' portfolio: draft terms of reference, receive applications and proposals for the selection of service providers
- Ensure smooth internal communications
- Ensure communication during events organized by AN
- Producing periodic reports on communication initiatives
2. Managing Contents and Data
- Designing, steering and monitoring an online media strategy for communication on the Organization's work so as:
- to increase traffic on AN's website
- to increase the readership of the AN monthly Newsletter
- to increase the number of followers on AN's social media pages, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook and Youtube
- Developing and finding content for the AN website, newsletter, social media platforms (including interviews, profiles, etc.)
- Developing the AN website and working closely with service providers for website updates in a drive to make it more user-friendly and ensure that they are consistent with current trends.
- Ensuring that the AN website and its social media pages are up-to-date and translated on a daily basis
- Tracking public interests on online platforms and using the analytics to guide the planning process
- Being abreast with technological advancements and new applications in the field of marketing, communication and advertisement
- Ensuring that all AN Affiliates, programmes and partners feature regularly on the communication materials and that they are informed on AN activities
- Coordinating Affiliates' content for maximum effect
3. Communications and Publications of the Organization
- Ensuring that all of AN's communication commitments are met regarding logos, copyrights, location of materials on communication documents, etc.
- Ensuring the consistent and correct use of all AN brands and programmes in accordance with the Branding Manual
- Designing and managing communication kits and goods including but not limited to clothing, publications, calendars, etc. and drafting, directing promotional videos.
4. Public Relations and Media
- Handling public relations and ensuring the quality of the information and data shared
- Drafting press releases and communiques (short and long versions) for the Organization
- Building and maintaining excellent ties with the media and strategic partners and responding to all media requests on time and comprehensively
- Organizing appropriate media launches for events, special reports, etc.
Ensuring that all documents - including newsletters, website information, press releases, all forms of internal communication, meeting minutes, etc. - are translated in English and French.
Higher education degree in the fields of communication, social sciences, political sciences.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience with a mastery of DTP software (suite Adobe, Photoshop, Publisher, etc.) spent as a Communications Officer
- Versatile and skilled in graphic design, social media editing, advertisement, events, public relations, press relations
- Mastery of on- and off-line communication techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent drafting skills
- Creativity and attention to quality service delivery
- Sound knowledge of the culture and arts sector would be an asset
- Must be bilingual (French and English).