Deadline: 27 October 2017
Arterial Network is a vibrant civil society pan-African network of artists, organisations and institutions engaged in Africa's creative sector. The network was established in March 2007 on Goree Island, Senegal in March 2007. Arterial Network is led by a Steering Committee representing Africa's five regions and run by a Continental Secretariat based in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. The network's activities span across large parts of Africa and it is represented in over 20 African countries and 574 professionals across the continent.
In order to better plan and manage its resources, Arterial Network is recruiting an Administration and Finance Officer to discharge the tasks described in the terms of reference. The selected candidate shall be tasked with managing finances, assisting in staff management, administration and general services.
S/he shall be answerable to the Secretary General of the Continental Secretariat and shall be part of a team based in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. The candidate must be full of integrity, ambitious and goal-driven, must be competent in administration, finance and accounting and have a sound understanding and passion for Africa, be capable of building and maintaining excellent relations with partners and producing quality work.
- Have a Higher education Degree in Accounting/management, project management and business administration
- A minimum of five years' experience as Administration and Finance Officer with a company or organization, corroborated with the portfolio held
- Proper mastery and understanding of accounting and financial management software
- Mastery of English and French
- Have broad general knowledge.
Candidates shall send their CVs, cover letters, a list of communication materials designed and three references to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org latest October 27, 2017.
The selected candidate shall assume duty as soon as possible. See the terms of reference for the advertised position below. This is a contract position for one year renewable.
Applications from women are encouraged.
Short-listed candidates shall be contacted directly in case they are selected for a written test.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE OFFICER
Chain of command and supervision:
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary General of Arterial Network's Continental Secretariat based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, and the Executive Committee Treasurer, the Administration and Finance Officer shall be in charge of supporting the Secretariat in the management of administrative and financial affairs. S/he shall be answerable to the Secretary General and expected to design efficient financial control measures and systems for the proper management of AN's funds and participate in the drafting and implementation of financial sustainability strategies.
The successful candidate shall work in close collaboration with the Continental Secretariat's Programme Managers, Affiliates across 20 African countries and Arterial Network's collaborators.
Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Administrative Assistance
- Undertaking administrative tasks relating to welcoming and receiving visitors and guests, managing the agenda, missions
- Supporting the Secretary General in managing and tracking staff administrative files (career plans, staff contracts, absences, vacations, salaries, assessment systems, etc.)
- Participating in planning and organizing meetings, seminars, workshops organized by the Continental Secretariat and drafting attendant reports
- Participating in preparing meetings of the Continental Secretariat office: administrative and financial organization, logistics, preparing the necessary documents
- Assisting Affiliates on issues regarding administration and finance
- Discharging other functions assigned to him/her by hierarchy.
2. Financial Management
- Preparing and managing AN's budget forecasts and plans providing reliable financial information on a regular basis
- Managing AN's account: liaising with the Treasurer and preparing projections on treasury flows in order to track expenditure and revenue, preparing payment requests and supply needs
- Creating, implementing and educating staff members and Project managers on efficient financial control systems so as to ensure the proper management of AN funds
- Managing all financial risks and developing early alert systems
- Managing and supervising all activities relating to procurement, while making sure that they are consistent with donors' policies and contracts
- Making financial instruments available for Project Managers to manage their budgets: certifying their ad hoc project expenses within the agreed budget, supervising account reconciliation for Project Managers, staff and Affiliates, ensuring that Project Managers produce monthly reports on their expenditure
- Managing furniture, materials, equipment and consumables (monitoring conventions, inventories, tracking stocks and rolling stock)
- Supervising the tasks of employees under his supervision.
- Drafting terms of reference for the appointment of auditors under the aegis of the Treasurer
- Preparing and assisting in the drafting of audit files
- Ensuring that annual audits are conducted according to the defined timeframe
- Ensuring the proper conduct of audits.
4. General Functions
Assisting the Secretary General to:
- Design and update administrative and financial management tools
- Draft correspondences, reports, assessments and supporting documents and administrative records relating to administrative and financial management and inform hierarchy on aspects requiring immediate attention
- Prepare and implement an innovative financial sustainability plan
- Create decent working conditions within the Continental Secretariat office and support Affiliates in this direction
- Identify development partners, draft budgets and submit relevant proposals
- Create and strive for the consolidation of excellent reports with existing partners through direct meetings and regular communication
- Participate in meetings with AN's key partners.
Required Qualifications, Professional Experience and Skills
The candidate must have a university degree in the fields of management, economics, finance and accounting, project management.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of relevant experience as Administration and Finance Officer with a company or an organization, with corroborating evidence of the portfolio held
- Have sound computer knowledge and a mastery of online communication tools
- A mastery of accounting and financial management software
- Sound knowledge of the culture and arts sector, experience with national and international organizations and a residence permit for non-residents would be an asset.
- Must be bilingual (French and English).
- Attention to quality service delivery
- Excellent drafting skills
- Innovativeness in ensuring financial sustainability
- Loyal and devoted employee with a positive and confident attitude
- Ability to take decisions and initiatives
- Ability to display a high degree of honesty and professionalism when dealing with members, staff and partners of the Network.