Deadline: 11 PM (Japanese time) on May 6 (Sun), 2018.
Based in Awaji Island, Awaji Art Circus has three distinct missions:
- One is to bring about increase in population flow and local economic consumption leading to regional vitalization whilst utilizing local resources.
- The other is to let the world know the appeals of Awaji Island and more broadly Japan. AAC aims to become a new local tourism attraction and attract people from within and outside of Awaji Island.
- Last but not least, to develop art and culture on Awaji Island and to create a chance for Japanese people to get to know international art of different genres.
Talented international artists from around the world are invited to :
- Stay in Awaji Island during ONE month and entertain visitors with your performance at various locations on the island; as well as
- Experience and enjoy the appeals of Awaji Island and be the messenger as you spread the word about the island through SNS etc.
Through AAC artists around the world will be given the opportunity to:
- express themselves as street performers: carry yourself equipment and props, prepare yourself performance place, perform - do your favorite job regardless of the amount of the audience and receive not small tips but fixed monthly payment (!!!).
- get to know Japan, gain new experience at a new place and interact with artists of various genres, as well as to contribute to fostering personnel in the field of art.
Recruiting number of artists
Awaji Island, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
September 12 (Wed)～October 17 (Wed), 2018
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
To apply, you must meet all the following criteria:
- Open to artists of all genres of performing arts as: street performance, bodily expression, musical instrument performance, singing, live painting, dance, different circus disciplines (except all aerials acts, work with Chinese pole, tightrope walking, teeterboard, work with fire, performances which require perfectly flat surface) etc. Artists who are willing to break the barriers of existing genres as well as artists with interactive performance are welcome. * Please note that high-end sound/lighting equipment cannot be provided.
- Non-Japanese citizens only.
- Open to all artists over 18 years old.
- Both professionals/amateurs are eligible.
- Groups (participating member shall be three maximum) and individuals are both welcome.
- Artists who can adjust their performance to suit any performance venue.
- Artists who can provide high quality of performance regardless of the number of audiences. * Awaji Island has few visitors on weekdays.
- Performance which is offensive to public order and morals, dangerous performance, performance with acts which cause inconvenience to a third party, performance which is unjustly cruel to animals, performance which uses motorcycle, performance which may be partial to certain religion/belief and performance with political assertion are not eligible.
- Artists who are willing to write about Awaji Island as well as their everyday experience and performance on Facebook, Instagram, personal blog, etc.
- Artists who are interested in Japan, Japanese culture and livelihood etc.
- Artists who are keen to participate in sightseeing tours, cultural experience programs etc. planned by the Organizer. *The Organizer will cover expenses for participation.
- Artists who are interested in regional vitalization, local economic development etc.
- Artists who can proactively communicate with other artists, local residents and visitors.
- Artists who can communicate in English.
- Previous years performers are welcome to apply on a regular basis. In case of being chosen for AAC 2018 they will be asked to do some extra work as a support staff for additional payment.
More details online